Tuesday, July 17, 2007

FEMME FERINES 2.O : a postscript (30/168)

Before I receive any actual comments to my previous blogger post (ha! wishful thinking!), I wanted to be defensive and toss in my pre-emptive (more wishful thinking) 2-cents worth re: said writing excerpt.
I just want to say, I was so excited to have crammed all those ideas into one piece of writing, I was anxious to get it front of an audience and see their reaction, if any.
Now that I've had a chance to re-read it some, with the fire of just having written now all died away, it's obvious I still need to do a lot of work with it.
At the very least, it's unfinished, and not even where I arbitrarily and abruptly ended it.

The biggest issues I think are these:

1. Agnes' weird dying fantasies are perhaps too strange for her to just have, and I think I can set that up better, at least (setting it up even a little is more than what I've done so far), so that there may be at least some logic, some contrived justification for her morbid tangents of thought. Or, that is to say, the elements of her fantasies may make more sense. As to why she has this hard-on for "beautiful tragedy," I'll be honest, I have no real justification for her fascination or obsession with that. I think that's a blatant case of "it sounds kind of funny to me."
On the other hand, instinctively speaking, there's something interesting in that, and perhaps it may articulate itself to me later.

2. Agnes' mission of crime also needs to be set up more, I think.
Ultimately, I'd like the FEMME FERINES to be a novel. but I'm also thinking of exploring the possibility of sending out some sections as short stories to possible publishers to see what kind of response I'd get.
This particular episode of Agnes having to steal a comic book to "join" these other girls (I bet you didn't even know that's what was going on, did ya? See, I need to spell it out more and I think earlier, too) would make an interesting self-contained short story.
In fact, I'm going to try to develop this bit of writing in that direction first, as a short story.
In novel form, I think, I'll break up some of the introductions to the girls into one or more chapters.

3. My punctuation totally blows. I need to consult with my "editorial staff" on that front, but I was too impatient to do so before posting.

I guess that's really it. Those are my biggest concerns. Once I deal with those, I'm sure I'll discover other problems.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my desperate attempt at covering my ass...


30/168
Project 365 : first / previous / next

No comments: